Friday, February 03, 2006

Can You Smell Something?

I will never have a great deal of time for Btselem (the Israeli Human Rights Organization) - not because the work they do is not important but because their valuable goals come soaked in bias, misleading statistics and one-sided advocacy.
For that reason, I was surprised to see them issue a demand to Attorney-General Menachem Mazuz in which they request an investigation into police abuse of non-violent protestors at Amona.

I've been unable to decipher the truth from the various Amona reports. I can't fathom how anyone could have succeeded in doing so. Anyone who bellows about facist settlers deserving a beating or about Nazi Jewish soldiers or politicians aren't helping me in my personal analysis.

For me, video coverage helps me to understand what went happened. Look, there might be more than meets the eye but frankly this footage from Amona sits uncomfortably in my mind and in my soul (to be honest).

I don't know what was going on outside this camera frame or whether police and soldiers had been abused physically prior to this, but as far as I can see this is an unprovoked baton beating of non-violent protestors. As Btselem (Defender of National-Zionist Rights too!) will verify, that such action is against human rights and international law.

As for the horse riding over people - you be the judge. Send this post to others and let them judge too.

Concerns have been raised by the President, political parties (even the lefter-wing) and rights groups. The Knesset is being recalled for a special session on the confrontation itself. Kadima MKs however accuse the protestors as provoking the harsh response.

I'm against lawlessness and I'm against illegal building whether by Arab or Jew. Regardless - something smells here. It reeks of politics and electioneering.

Tell me I'm wrong... please.

No comments: