Sunday, March 19, 2006

"How I Learned to Love the Wall"



The following is a fair article by Irshad Manji titled 'How I Learned to Love the Wall'. This article is swimming in a sea of articles which only talk about the barrier and its hardships on Palestinians. While not dismissing the Palestinian hardships, Manji gives the barrier context and gives both sides. Like all people of good faith, she looks forward to a day when there will be no need for a barrier, until is reconciled to it.
Below are excerpts...
"this barrier, although built by Mr. Sharon, was birthed by "shaheeds," suicide bombers whom Palestinian leaders have glorified as martyrs. Qassam missiles can kill two or three people at a time. Suicide bombers lay waste to many more. Since the barrier went up, suicide attacks have plunged, which means innocent Arab lives have been spared along with Jewish ones. Does a concrete effort to save civilian lives justify the hardship posed by this structure? The humanitarian in me bristles, but ultimately answers yes.
That's not to deny or even diminish Arab pain. I had to twist myself like an amateur gymnast when I helped a Palestinian woman carry her grocery bags through a gap in the wall (such gaps, closely watched by Israeli soldiers, do exist). It made me wonder how much more difficult the obstacle course must be for people twice my age, who must travel to one of the wider official checkpoints nearby.
For all the closings, however, Israel is open enough to tolerate lawsuits by civil society groups who despise every mile of the barrier. Mr. Sharon himself agreed to reroute sections of it when the Israel High Court ruled in favor of the complainants. Where else in the Middle East can Arabs and Jews work together so visibly to contest, and change, state policies?
I reflected on this question as I observed an Israeli Army jeep patrol the gap in Abu Dis. The vehicle was crammed with soldiers who, in turn, observed me filming the anti-Israel graffiti scrawled by Western activists — "Scotland hates the blood-sucking Zionists!" I turned my video camera on the soldiers. Nobody ordered me to shut it off or show the tape. My Arab taxi driver stood by, unprotected by a diplomatic license plate or press banner.
Like all Muslims, I look forward to the day when neither the jeep nor the wall is in Abu Dis. So will we tell the self-appointed martyrs of Islam that the people — not just Arabs, but Arabs and Jews — "are one"? That before the barrier, there was the bomber? And that the barrier can be dismantled, but the bomber's victims are gone forever?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there:
I need some help. I need a few, short articles on either the parties or main candidates in the upcoming elections. In that, I am looking for informative/educational articles on Likud, Kadima and Labor or their candidates that would be informative for a beginner's time group. What do you think? Anything. Please contact me and let me know if you have anything. Jennie Woolf is my sister. My e-mail is: woolf.richard@gamail.com.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

woolf.richard@g-mail.com

Ashley Perry said...

Richard,
Wikpedia is a very good site that has links to all the parties involved in the elections.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_election_to_the_seventeenth_Knesset
Enjoy!